“inspiring and thought provoking”
“my head is spinning with thoughts and ideas”Just two of the comments that we have received after our first ‘Social Learning - Learning Network’. First of all we must thank Wormley School for hosting the first learning network meeting, secondly a big thank you to those who were able and willing to tell us their story to date and thirdly to all those who contributed to the discussions. During the meeting we:
- Shared the 3 aims and 5 building blocks that underpin the work of the Centre.
- Clarified the purpose and nature of the learning network itself.
- Provided an insight into the methods behind establishing a social learning agenda - as we shared an assessment tool - ‘starting conversations’ - which is currently being developed with 5 Cambridgeshire Schools. We also shared some thoughts on evaluating impact.
- Why start the journey and three years later its impact on children as effective learners.
- The development of ‘reasoning in the context of ‘notice, narrate and navigate’ and the importance of ‘pause moments’.
- Establishing learning attributes using the 7Cs (from Educating Ruby by Bill Lucas and Guy Claxton), developing a language for learning.
- Coaching as an ‘empowerment’ model for enhancing professional development and for extending the way in which children can manage their own learning.
Where do children fit into this big picture, as partners?We hope to post some audio extracts of the meeting and the ideas shared soon.
The next ‘Social Learning - Learning Network’
again hosted by Wormley School, Broxbourne, Herts, EN10 6QA)
Thursday 18th May from 12:00pm until 3:00pm
If you would like to join us, or would like any further information,
please get in touch.